British Virgin Island




Every once in a while I come across a really challenging country,  BVI was one of them.  Most of the food is imported from neighbouring islands and abroad.  To find something really authentic was near impossible as most recipes were simply adaptations or similar to neighbouring countries.   There was also the point that after 3 weeks researching this Island there was not one recipe I really wanted to make, from what I had found online.  I had already made a few of them for other islands surrounding BVI.  I invented and went by restaurant menu items on BVI.

The Menu

BVI Chicken

I made a marinade of mango,  pineapple, cilantro, ginger and put chicken legs to marinate overnight.  I was going to grill these the next day but due to the high sugar content I decided to do these in the oven.  I used the marinade to brush on the chicken while cooking.  The end result tasted like something you would find in the Caribbean.

Rasta Pasta

A lot of the restaurants I researched had Rasta Pasta on the menu.  There is a restaurant in Kensington Market in Toronto called Rasta Pasta where Magnus cooks up some amazing Jerk Pork and Chicken.   I looked online for recipes and found really that Rasta Pasta had many different variations and was basically a pasta with a Caribbean flare.   From the different recipes I found I decided to make a combination of black beans, coconut milk and mixed vegetables.  A bit of Caribbean inspired spice and this was a different take on pasta.  With the BVI chicken it worked really well.

 








Comments